Wednesday, February 9, 2011

And it Begins!

I mentioned in previous posts I arrived in Australia January 2. Well, not being one to waste time or in this case money, I arranged to start my job as a nanny on the 3. I flew from Brisbane, which is on the coast, to Emerald unbenost to me at the time the current nanny and the nanny for the neighboring property were on the flight as well. Emerald, being just a regional airport is the size of a postage stamp. I wouldn't be suprised if the South Bend and Ft. Wayne airports are bigger. Anyway, I go inside to get my luggage and hopefully find someone waiting to pick me up only to find that none of the faces I see look at all like ones in the pictures sent to me. Thankfully I found my luggage right away (one of the nannies wasn't so lucky, her luggage was left in Brisbane) and was able to stand back and watch as people came and went. Some how, maybe I have nanny imprited on my forehead, decided I must be the new nanny replacing her and approached me to find out. Siobhan had been with the Woolcocks for two months and would be with them through January. I can't begin to explain how thrilled I was to learn this. Having never done work like this before I looked on any help or inside knowledge as being worth its weight in gold. It wasn't long after that Richard (the dad) showed up and we were on our way home to Oakey Creek (the name of their property/station). The rest of that day is a blur of Richard making some stops in town and what felt like a never ending ride from the airport to their house.

The next day I jumped right into the fire and began my job. The school year runs all year long in Australia. The new term starts in January and they have two weeks off every ten weeks or so. Since I arrived just after New Years the kids were still on holiday and thus all four of them were home all time. Talk about overwhelming. On my first day Siobhan organized a trip/lunch at the creek. There is a creek that goes through the property (obviously, it is called Oakey Creek) and at one part not too far from the house it is shallow enough for the kids to play in. With sandwhiches made, water bottles packed, sunscreen applied and floated inflated you would have thought we were making a trip to some distant land instead of just going down the road a few yards. I quickly learned there is no such thing as packing light in this family. And so the day was spent in the water which considering how hot it was was not a bad way to go.

This is Siobhan and the youngest two Bridie and Bella on the way to the creek.

This is Hastings, lord only knows what he was up to when I took this picuture.

Siobhan again with Bridie and Fang the family dog. This dog is treated better than most people.

ME!

Bridie and Fang on the Beach. Bridie nearly drowned a year ago and the family has been working on getting her over her resulting fear of water.

Bella floating down the creek.

Ally trying on my sunglasses.









No comments: