Thursday, February 17, 2011

Stanage Bay

I had only just arrived on the scene and was trying to get a feel for things when the family announced that we were going to their vacation house on Stanage Bay. They had tried to make the trip several weeks earlier but due to the rainy weather they couldn't. When I say couldn't, I don't mean that they didn't want to waste their vacation on bad weather, but I mean physically they could not get their cars down the road. The area had been receiving so much rain over the previous months that the road couldn't hold the weight of heavy vehicles. The area near Stanage requires several creek crossings as well which again due to the heavy rain fall made crossing impossible at times. I think Richard got a call from his friends saying that there was a window of opportunity for the family to come down if they wanted to
It wasn't as easy as just getting in the car and leaving either. This picture was taken from the back of the pick up truck we took the first 3 miles down the road (still on Oakey Creek property mind you). At this point we had to get on four wheelers and go a couple miles to where the SUV we were taking was parked.
This apparently is someone's mailbox. Gave me a good chuckle.
The ride to Stange should only take 7-8 hours but again due to the rain the trip wasn't as straight forward as that. Instead it took us 11-12 hours. Now close your eyes and picture an SUV containing three cars seats (children included), a ten year old, two nannies, two parents and a dog. Did the word hell flash in your mind? If not, you're a stronger person than I am. I imagine the trip could have been worse, car sickness could have played a part. Instead it was the usual tantrums, name calling and tears that I've since gotten use to. Upon our arrival at Stanage Jenn said something along the lines of that wasn't so bad in reference to the car ride. I thought to myself whose car was she in. But in all reality I imagine it really could have been worse. It was a hellishly long ride for everyone involved.
Richard with Fang the family dog. I know I know a chiwawa how annoying that's what I thought anyway when I first saw him. However, this is one cool dog.
Somewhere along the line Bridie either got into mom's makeup or mom (Jenn) just gave it to her to shut her up. This was the end result.
Stanage Bay is located right on the coast and is one of the few coastal areas that swimmer don't have to worry about box jelly fish. There are only 50 some year round residents. Most people are like Jenn and Richard; they only come up for their vacations. This is part of the reason why no one heard from me for so long. There is no internet, not even wireless, in Stanage. There is only one buisness and it's the gas station, post office, mini mart and bar all in one. Here are a couple photos of the beach were we went swimming every morning.
.
One of Richard's friends is a man named John Maxell whom I came to find out was a four time Olympic gold (I think) medalist. Anyway, Jenn gave Siobhan and myself one day off to go fishing with John on his boat. Now, anyone who knows me knows that fishing really isn't my thing. Well, let me just say when you got a set up as nice as John's fishing isn't so bad. I actually had a really good time. Had I not caught anything I might not have the same found memories but oh well.
Me with my first catch! I was the first one to catch a fish that day.
The bait we used. I baited my own hook, however had the bait been alive I might not have been able to do so.
Siobhan taking a break from the fishing.
The last picture is a random picture of a wild turkey we came across one day on the way to the beach. Fang forgetting he is a small dog barked and chased after this animal until it turned around and started running toward Fang screeching. This sent Fang running like nothing else and gave me a good laugh in the process.





No comments: