Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Little Bit of Hope

I am tired of focusing on the negative and the depressing. So often when I am preparing a post for this blog or a paper for my Individual Studies of Writing class I get frustrated and angry. Not because of the work, never that, believe it or not I do enjoy writing. I get angry because in the preparation for these assignments I must constant sift through websites and papers full of horrible sickening information.

Well I'm tired of it.

Today's post is going to be about hope. I want to introduce you all to some wonderful organizations that are against all odds doing big things to change the life of young people in West Bank.

The Freedom Theater in found in the refugee camp in Jenin. If you've read my previous posts you know that during the Second Intifada Jenin was pretty much leveled to the ground by the Israeli forces. This included The Stone Theater, which had been created by Arna Mer Khamis a Jew who chose to live and work in the West Bank. Khamis used her theater as a way to give a creative outlet to Palestinian children in order to help them deal with the emotional issues (chronic fears, insomnia, depression)created as a result of years of living under the strain and abuse of the Israeli occupation. Though the Stone Theater was bulldozed during the Second Intifada Arna's son has continued his mother's legacy through The Freedom Theater.

I had the opportunity to spend the day touring the theater grounds and speaking with some of the students (even sitting in on an impromptu jam session) and I was absolutely blown away with the work they are doing there. They are giving kids a voice who are otherwise voiceless. This clip below shows how theater is helping some of these kids deal with the harsh realities of their lives.



The Nablus Guide has this to say about the Nablus Circus School:

Founded in 2004 by a group of enthusiastic Palestinian artistes, the school’s ambition is to develop circus arts in the city. But beyond that they also want to provide a space for self-expression and freedom for the children living under occupation and constant stress. Hence each class is followed by a time for discussion, a moment set aside in order for each one to be able to express their anguish, their doubts, or their success. Furthermore, Assirk Assagir can be proud of being one of the only youth organizations to offer mixed classes open to girls and boys from 6 to 22 years old.

By clicking on the Nablus Circus School link above you will be brought to the blog that is written about the school. Listen and watch some of the students below.


For three months I was lucky enough to be a volunteer with Project Hope. Out of all the things that I have done in my life and all the places I have gone, my experience with them has been the greatest of my life. I feel very lucky to have been able to be a part of what they are doing. If you visit their website which I have linked above you will see that their mission is:

create safe and supportive spaces where children, youth and other community members can learn, thrive, and grow. Through our educational, artistic and recreational programs, we especially aim to empower Palestinian children and youth who have grown up in a context of violence and occupation, giving them the tools they need to access a better future.

My role with them was as an English teacher, however while I was there I saw volunteers involved in a number of different programs ranging from language programs, to art and photography, to IT and blogging classes.

These organizations not only give the children and the communites they are a part of hope but also outsider like myself. I have hope that these children will find creative and positive outlets for their fear and anger and that this will help in breaking the cycle violence we see happening.

No comments: