Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Future is Bright, but Unclear

I mentioned in my previous post that my time in PC is coming to an end. I know find myself looking towards the future and asking myself "now what?" I feel like I am graduating college all over again...saying good-bye to friends and a place I've called home now for over 2 years as well as choosing what path I will take as I move on from this amazing experience. Some volunteers are going straight home to look for jobs in what seems like a horrendous job market, some are going to travel and then go home before starting graduate school, and yet others are continuing on with Peace Corps. Some will stay in Benin but doing different work, but most will be going to different countries and again some will stay working in their same field (i.e. keep teaching English) while others will use these past two years experience to find a new job. So where do I fall in all this you ask?

Well I applied and was accepted into a volunteer program in Palestine teaching English and doing general youth outreach work. I had planned on traveling a bit with Patrick before hand to the neighboring countries of Egypt, Jordan and Syria. After finishing up in Palestine my plans were to spend the spring months working in a language immersion camp for french kids in France to help earn some money before going home for the summer and starting graduate school in the fall.

But I'm not sure if that is going to happen any more. I was recently offered another post withing Peace Corps. This time I would be volunteering in Cambodia as a Heath Education Leader. I would be more involved in the training of other volunteers in this position, but probably doing similar work as to what I have been doing. The only problem with this is that it is a new job and thus not very organized as to what they want/expect. But still a definite option.

However there a third option on the horizon. I am looking into going to Jordan with Peace Corps as a English teacher or a Youth Development Volunteer. Because I am switching sectors (I am currently a health volunteer and these positions are not health) I have to send in my resume again and get a letter of recommendation from my PC boss to see if I am qualified enough for either of these.

So as you can see options out the wazoo. I know I am blessed, because as one volunteer stated it is better to have several options than none at all. However it is stressful. I want to make the right decision, but I have no idea what that is or even if there is in fact a wrong decision to be made. All of the above will be great experiences that will help me grow and develop as well as give me skills for my next job. It's just making that choice.

No comments: