Sunday, May 24, 2009

Catch Up Round 2

So I've been a bit lack lately in playing catch up for all those months that I didn't post, but at least I've been trying to keep you all up todate on what's going on with me now. Anyway, in my last round of catch up I talked about Thanksgiving and the 2 day AIDS workshop I hosted.

December I tried to host a World AIDS day event for the 8th, but alas it fell through, well parts of it fell through and then no one showed up so thus it didn't happen. What I had planned originally was for the student peer educators I had trained during the AIDS workshop to come and do the skits they prepared during the workship for the community. Everyone seemed on board with this. The week before the event was to take place I was informed that the students could not infact participate because they had their semester exams during that period and could leave school. GRRR I wouldn't have been so frustrated if they had told me that in the beginning instead of letting me plan an event around them being there. I was still going to go on with the event only this time it would just be me and my work partner talking to people in the community and showing them how to use condoms. Unfortuantly, no one showed up. No one was suprised by this lack of turn out, but it did make me sad. It also made me grateful in a way that the kids couldn't make it, cause I would have felt really bad to have had them there waiting and then no one come.

So the planning of that event brought me to the week I was to start heading down to Cotonou to make my way to Accra so I could fly home and suprise my family for Christmas. I didn't get back til mid January. I was scheduled to go on my first vacation in Africa the first part of February so I had to use what little time I had left between getting back and leaving again to find out information regarding the cost of building a well, working on a grant so I could do nutrition workshops later on during the school year, as well as finish and AIDS mural we had started before I left for America.

No comments: